Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone

today is: Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone (whether you liked them or not). so i tried to include books from school that i was forced to read as well as some others. 

1. drown by junot diaz - i had to read this in my immigrant literature class. it is a collection of stories, i liked some of them. definitely outside of my comfort zone because of the present day setting, spanish slang and cursing that was in it.

2. the brief and wondrous life of oscar wao by junot diaz - i read this in my advanced fiction writing class because it won the pulitzar prize. it was the first book i read with a lot of footnotes and it again had spanish slang and way too much cursing.

3. tyrell by coe booth - i do not read books written in ebonics, i can never understand anything thats going on or what they are saying >_< i had to read this in my advanced fiction writing class.

4. bodega dreams by ernesto quinonez - this was a good one. i read it in immigrant literature too. it is a modern take on the great gatsby.

5. the road by cormac mccarthy - i read this in my creative writing class. i dont read post apocalyptic books cuz i dont like thinking about the end of the world.

6. the outsiders by s.e. hinton - i read this in 7th grade like most of us did. before this i mostly read historical fiction and fairy tales.

7. the uglies by scott westerfield - the first real science fiction book i read. i still dont read science fiction too much, not my favorite genre.

8. candle in the darkness by lynn n. austin - religious fiction. i read it cuz my mom made me.

9. story of a girl by sarah zarr - i dont really read teen realistic fiction unless i read it for the craft or the story is interesting to me. this one i read for the craft.

10. wizard's first rule by terry goodkind - another science fiction book. i do not like science fiction so much. this book took me FOREVER to finish. it was like "there was a vine. and this vine curved in a particular way, and the way it curved reminded me of something my father said when i was a child. and when i was a child i was tiny" blah blah blah.

2 comments:

  1. I don't read much sci-fi either, but I really enjoyed Westerfeld's Uglies series! Tally was an awesome main character :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DId you read the whole Uglies series or just the first one? Those books got me started on dystopian futures and rebellions. Tally really is a fantastice main character.

    ReplyDelete