Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects



TTT again hosted by the broke and the bookish. Today's topic is: Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects. this is a topic i can go on and on about. i decided to pick a few that probably won't be on everyone's lists today to bring some attention to them and the important issues they deal with.

1. room by Emma Donoghue- told from the perspective of a 5 year old boy kept in an 11 x 11 room with his mother. He hides in the closet when "Old Nick" visits his Ma at night. To Jack, the Room is all he knows.

2. stay by Deb Caletti- I have a love/hate relationship with this book. Right now I will show the loving side and say how much I admire Caletti for writing this and bringing awareness to abusive relationships because I was in an abusive relationship very similar to the one in the book.

3. the nature of jade by Deb Caletti- Jade suffers from panic disorder. Sebastian is a teen dad raising his son alone and living with his grandmother.

4. something like normal by Trish Doller-  Travis returns from Afghanistan to find his brother took his girlfriend and his parents are getting a divorce. On top of it all, he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder and is having nightmares about the death of his best friend in the war.

5. story of a girl by Sara Zarr- caught having sex at age 13 by her father and labeled a 'slut' at school. Her brother becomes a teen dad raising his baby on his own.

6. the time traveler's wife by Audrey Niffenegger- I picked this one because of the miscarriages Clare has. It took me so long to get through this book and majority of my time reading it was spent trying to get through that part of it. 

7. p.s. i love you by Cecelia Ahern- losing the love of your life and best friend and finding the strength to move on. Idk how I'd handle it if I lost my fiance, so this one is a biggie for me.

8. the story sisters by Alice Hoffman- abuse, mental issues, drugs, sisters/family.... very intense read

9. where she went by Gayle Forman- depression, anger, love and loss

10. crazy beautiful by lauren baratz-logsted- amputation from an explosion he caused so he has hooks for hands, depression, accepting the fact that someone accepts you for you.

7 comments:

  1. I still haven't read a Deb Calatti novel yet but she is definitely on my list. Great picks : )

    CeCe @ Steaming Mug of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Love your blog design, btw. New follower. =)

    My TTT: http://gobsandgobsofbooks.blogspot.com/2013/05/top-ten-books-dealing-with-tough.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read any of these tho some are on my shelf or on my TBR pile waiting to be picked up.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I didn't think of Sara Zarr's Story of a Girl. Most of Sara's books deal with these tough issues, huh? Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb Calatti stories sound very genuine and powerful, I'll have to add her to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete