Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Just One Day

title: Just One Day
author: Gayle Forman
book birthday: January 8th 2013
rating: 3.5 stars

Idk if I am just in a bad mood lately because of school or if it is the way I was raised, but I was so frustrated with  this book. I vented to my fiance about this book every day and that was a very long time because it took me about 2 weeks to finish it thanks to the fact that I can only read on the train, and as I'm falling asleep in bed (sorry to put you through that, my love :/).

*contains spoilers*

Okay first, I loved the beginning of the book, I loved the whirlwind romance of it. I was hurt when Allyson was heartbroken and depressed in college. I was surprised that one day in Paris was not the premise of the story and that the story took place over the course of a year. While I did enjoy each character's personality, I did not care for Allyson and Willem. The book was so sad, depressing. Allyson's depression over Willem was sad and depressing. She didn't know if he had really left her or not and she had to go back to Paris to see.

Speaking of that... here is my rant. WTH was she thinking?!?!? I vented to my fiance about this the most. Why the heck did she think that Willem didn't mean it as a one night stand? I get that he did want to get back to her and stuff happened that separated them for a year and *gasp* she found him but seriously? Why? I'm sorry but my suspension of disbelief can only go so far. If any girl I knew attempted to do that at Allyson's age, my friends and I would slap it out of her. That was definitely the most frustrating aspect of the book. I keep thinking that if my cousin (who is hooked up on some catfish romance with a guy online) goes to read this book, it will give her a reason to go to Jamaica on her own to meet him WHICH IS DANGEROUS!

On the technical aspect, Just One Day was very well written and Gayle Forman did not fail to impress with that. However, I did not like the romance of Willem and Allyson. It just wasn't there for me. I will read Just One Year when it comes out because I want to know Willem's side of the story. I am hoping that it does answer questions left over from Just One Day and fill in some holes in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment