Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Review: Cruel Beauty

title: cruel beauty
author: rosamund hodge
book birthday: january 28, 2014
rating: 4.5 stars

Ok, so this is a book that people will either obsessively love or flat out find it boring. May I start off by saying how clever and stunning the cover is?! I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but the cover on this one definitely made me download the ARC.

Cruel Beauty is a mix of Beauty and the Beast and Cupid and Psyche. The book blurbs I have seen say that it is Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast. I guess that's true because Nyx is not your typical heroine just like Katsa. I say it's like Cupid and Psyche because it does have a lot of mythology in it which took me a while to get used to because at first I was thinking of British royalty but then there was a mythology twist and I had to extremely adjust the movie that was playing in my head. It was hard to get used to the Ancient Greek setting. A lot of the info about the gods and goddesses and how they related to the overall story kind of got muddy in some parts because some of the descriptions sounded Victorian. Then again, the setting is a world under a literal thin paper sky, where the sun looks like it was drawn with a crayon, whose residents have been separated from the outside world for many centuries, so things are going to be weird.

The plot is basically this: Nyx has been betrothed to the evil Gentle Lord, ruler of demons, since birth because of a deal her father agreed to. Nyx lives the life of the perfect daughter and sister while the whole time she is overtaken by hate and despises them all for not trying to save her from her fate. On her 17th birthday, Nyx marries the Gentle Lord (Ignifex) and goes to live in his castle with a mission- to seduce the Ingifex, kill him and end the curse on her people. But stuff happens and Ingifex is not what he seems. The more secrets Nyx uncovers, the more she falls in love with Ingifex and wants to save him. But how could she save him if she was sent to destroy him? So she is forced to choose: save her people or save the demon she loves.

Overall, Cruel Beauty was an intense read. It had a lot of OMGSH! moments. I think my heart is still recovering from the shock. Think of it like after the point where Nyx went home to visit her family, and her sister gets inside her head and she goes back to the castle and dunnn dunn dunnn secrets are revealed and stuff happens. I got so scared because it was close to the end of the book and if the book ended that way I would have hated it forever, but it didn't so all is well ^_^. The ending is one that you will either love or hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment