Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Hidden Girl: the true story of a modern-day child slave


title: hidden girl: the true story of a modern-day child slave 
author: shyima hall
book birthday: january 21, 2014
rating: 4 stars

 Ok, so this one was a tough one to swallow content wise. At first when I got the ARC, I didn't realize it was nonfiction (silly me, I know). I just needed something to read so I put it on my nook and read it on the train, during breaks at work and basically every spare moment I had. Shyima's story is so intriguing. I had to know what was going to happen next. It's so sad to know that Shyima is around my age and that she went through child slavery.

Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. For those who don't know, here's the synopsis from goodreads:

Shyima Hall was born in Egypt on September 29, 1989, the seventh child of desperately poor parents. When she was eight, her parents sold her into slavery. Shyima then moved two hours away to Egypt’s capitol city of Cairo to live with a wealthy family and serve them eighteen hours a day, seven days a week. When she was ten, her captors moved to Orange County, California, and smuggled Shyima with them. Two years later, an anonymous call from a neighbor brought about the end of Shyima’s servitude—but her journey to true freedom was far from over.

A volunteer at her local police department since she was a teenager, Shyima is passionate about helping to rescue others who are in bondage. Now a US citizen, she regularly speaks out about human trafficking and intends to one day become an immigration officer. In Hidden Girl, Shyima candidly reveals how she overcame her harrowing circumstances and brings vital awareness to a timely and relevant topic.


Kudos to her for bringing awareness to the topic of child slavery. I do think that it's cool her story is still ongoing. I also LOVE that Shyima's story doesn't stop with her getting rescued, it keeps going far into how her captors were prosecuted and her journey into adulthood while she coped with the emotional scars. 

In short, I loved the book. Yes, I have issues with the writing style and some of the repetition got annoying which is why I gave the book a 4 stars instead of 5. But the story is one I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment