Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Ten Books From My Childhood/Teen Years I'd Like To Revisit



Top Ten Tuesday here. Today is Ten Books From My Childhood/Teen Years I'd Like To Revisit  For this one I'm going way back to middle school. While these are not all of my favorites, they are some of the ones that left a big impression on me as a kid.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5th grade) my teacher read this out loud to us instead of independent reading for one month. It really opened my eyes to a magical world aside from Grimm and Anderson.

2. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (7th grade) a teacher I hated said gave us this book because it was part of the curriculum. I tried so hard to hate it because she gave it to us but I fell in love with the writing.

3. Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold (3rd grade) my mom used to read us a lot of Faith Ringgold growing up because she wanted us exposed to poets that were minorities to encourage our creative spirits.

4 and 5.  The Dear America/My Name is America series (grades 4-8), The Royal Diaries series (grades 5-10)

6. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (grade 6)

7. The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by John Scieszka (grade 2, grade 5 for a fairy tale retelling project in english)

8. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (grade 8)
 I also loved fairy tales like Grimm and Anderson, but when I was in middle school fairy tale retellings started coming out more and more. 

9. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klaus (grade 10) The first dark YA book I ever read, it's still one of my favorites. 

10. Indian captivity books like  Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare or Trouble's Daughter by Katherine Kirkpatrick (grades 5-8)

* I was big on historical fiction when I was in middle school, so most of the books I would go back to are those.

1 comment:

  1. Nice list of books!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete