Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: Brazen

title: brazen
author: katherine longshore
book birthday: june 12, 2014
rating: 4.5 stars

book blurb from goodreads:
 Mary Howard has always lived in the shadow of her powerful family. But when she’s married off to Henry Fitzroy, King Henry VIII’s illegitimate son, she rockets into the Tudor court’s inner circle. Mary and “Fitz” join a tight clique of rebels who test the boundaries of court’s strict rules with their games, dares, and flirtations. The more Mary gets to know Fitz, the harder she falls for him, but is forbidden from seeing him alone. The rules of court were made to be pushed…but pushing them too far means certain death. Is true love worth dying for?

Ok, so everyone knows that I'm totally obsessed with anything to do with the Tudors. This book was such a wonderful point of view. It was a look into arranged marriages in the court, how the king and queen controlled lives and choose who the ones that served them will marry. It was a look into how Henry VIII treated his son. It was a look at marriages in court and how marriage was more of label with duties. Over all I loved the book. It really makes you have an appreciation of the freedom we have to choose who we want to be with today.

the one thing that bothered me
at the end, it was annoying how Mary went to Anne's execution and fainted and that's why her husband and brother were standing. I understand that it was how Longshore imagined why the two men were standing when everyone else went down in historical records, but I didn't like that interpretation.

I thought the relationship with Fitz and Mary was beautiful and a good speculation of what really happened. I love that they kept their intimacy for themselves. I would have liked to see more into Mary's life after she had this new sense of self, maybe to see the court from her perspective later on in an epilogue and to catch up with her friends.

Again, I have very few complaints about this book. I loved it. I may even give Gilt a chance even though the cover is such a turn off for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment