Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: The Geography of You and Me

title: the geography of you and me
author: jennifer e. smith
book birthday: april 15, 2014
rating: 4 stars

blurb from goodreads:
Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too. 


So, this is not one of the books that I would have on my shelf. That being said, it is a book I will borrow from the library as a feel good read to make me smile.

I've read other reviews about Jennifer E. Smith's books, this book in particular, and there is something that you have to understand. Her books are fluff and if you do not like fluff then don't read them. Get over it and enjoy the book for what it is.
Anyway...
I love books that take place in New York City, mainly because I live here. I liked how this book traveled with the characters. I really enjoyed seeing each city from each character. However, NYC in a blackout will not look like that. I understand that they are in like 70 something street so it may be that way because there are a certain kind of people that live there. But it would have been nice to see other places in New York after like on the news or on the radio so readers who are not familiar with NYC can further understand Lucy's parents' concern about her alone in a black out. Though I figure that people reading kind of have this idea of other boroughs compared to Manhattan.... so yea.

Another thing..

*spoiler*

after the big fight when Owen and Lucy met up in San Francisco and each of them told their significant other that they were in love with someone else, the book went downhill. Yes, the postcard thing was cute, but after when they lose touch it was expected they would find someone else. The whole thing with Liam and Lucy in Scotland did seem kinda bleh and Lucy stressed how it all happened in a matter of days which was like "yup rebound". It was kind of annoying at first that it was like "insta-love" but again, you have to take the book for what it is and this is where the characters are. Also for some teens this is how it is. You meet someone and are instantly attracted and you can't help but wonder "what if" all the time and when that person keeps in touch in some way, the thoughts keep on coming.

Overall, the book is one I may come back to later when I need to smile. It may not be one to have on my shelf because it's not completely my style, but it was good for what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment