Monday, July 20, 2015

Review: Atlantis Rising

title: atlantis rising
author: gloria craw
book birthday: january 6, 2015
rating: 3.5

blurb from goodreads:
I am different. I have always been different, but no one can know or my life will be in danger. So I hide in plain sight, wearing drab clothes and thick glasses and trying to be invisible. I’m so good at hiding, no one has ever noticed me. Until Ian…the mysterious and oh-so-cute boy I know I need to avoid.

Now I have been seen. And more terrifying still, I am wanted—by those who would protect me and those who would destroy everything and everyone I love. But if they’re all terrified about who I am, wait until they see what I can do…


 I totally judged this book by the cover and the book blurb. The cover is beautiful and the blurb immediately caught my attention. One disappointment: there was no water. No Atlantians coming up from the water or anything like that. In this version, they walk among us and can take over our brains which seems more epic in some ways. 
I gave Atlantis Rising 3.5 stars because I was bored for some of it. There were exciting portions but other parts dragged on. For example, Alison was being trained should have been one of the most interesting parts but I found myself skimming through instead of reading. Actually, I found myself wanting more throughout the book. I wanted to see more with Nikki and maybe some more about how people at school perceived Alison as she grew as a character.
It was kind of weird that some random guy went to Alison said "your life is in danger, hide your powers" and that changed her whole life. It was kind of awkward to have this random encounter that changed her life, but I get the purpose. I admired Alison's dedication to her family and that she didn't leave them once she found out who she was later in the book. She stayed faithful to her brother and parents and touched base with them often even if she was lying to cover what was happening she still had the love for them to let them know she was ok.
One major plus was that the romance took a back seat and solving the problem was more important. Ian made a great love interest and the playful banter between him and Alison was fun to read. 

Overall the book had kind of a Jennifer E. Smith kind of feel but with some paranormal aspects and deeper storyline. It's not one I would keep on my shelf just yet but I'll go back to it for a feel-good read. Maybe if the sequel is kick-butt and adds more umph to the story I'll make it an addition to my library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment