Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Review: Head Case by Sarah Aronson

title: head case
author: sarah aronson
book birthday: september 4, 2007
rating: 3 stars

blurb from goodreads:
 ONE MISTAKE.  ONE BAD NIGHT.  ONE TOO MANY DRINKS.  A powerful and heartbreaking debut novel about a guy who had it all...until he drank that fifth beer and got into the car. Frank Marder is a head, paralyzed from the neck down, and it's his fault.  He was drinking.  He was driving.  Now Frank can't walk, he can't move, he can't feel his skin.  He needs someone to feed him, to wash him, to move his body. But if you ask most of the people who are posting on www.quadkingonthenet, he hasn't been adequately punished.  Two people are dead because of him.  Frank should go to jail.  Only "Annonymous" disagrees.

 For a first novel, this is not bad at all. I actually enjoyed it. I gave it 3 stars because I wanted more. I felt like it was predictable, slow moving, minor characters are mentioned and forgotten. Overall, it felt like this would make a great movie to warn people against drunk driving. Once I started reading the book from that perspective, I enjoyed it much more. The long pauses, the stares from people, the struggles in adjusting to home, that nightmares that Frank had, it all was much more vivid once I started thinking of the book as an outline for a movie. 

***spoilers ahead***
 
Frank's character was believable, the tragedy behind his situation was plausible. I really liked the fact that he was a genuinely good guy before his girlfriend and that one night of jealousy and drinks led him to a bad decision. I had recommended the health teacher in my school to use Frank's speech/story he gave at the end of the book because she needed a reading/literacy piece to incorporate into her curriculum. 

Overall, while the story was predicable and I was really bored at times, it was a good read and I liked Frank's story.  Definitely one I would recommend to my older students to caution them against drinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment