Saturday, May 07, 2016

K-Drama Review: Flower Boy Ramyun Shop

title: flower boy ramyun shop
genre: romance comedy 
original run: october 2011- december 2011
network: tvN
number of episodes: 16
my rating: 2 stars

synopsis from viki.com:
Teaching is considered to be the noblest profession. The greatest wish of Yang Eun Bi (Lee Chung Ah) is to attain the respect, prestige and job security of becoming a high school teacher. As she studies diligently to prepare for the teacher certification exam, she keeps running into Cha Chi Soo (Jung Il Woo), the only son of the owner of the largest food conglomerate in Korea. But Eun Bi can’t quite make out his identity, as she mistakes Chi Soo at first for an employee of the food company, then a student at her university, and then for a student at the high school where she will be a student teacher. Then they both end up working at a ramen shop owned by the lazy Choi Kang Hyuk (Lee Ki Woo). Can Eun Bi and Chi Soo’s multiple run-ins be just chance encounters or is there a larger force at play to bring the two together? “Flower Boy Ramyun Shop,” also known as “Flower Boy Ramen Shop” or “Cool Guys Hot Ramen,” is a 2011 South Korean drama series directed by Jung Jung Hwa.


I'm sorry to all of the lovers of this drama out there. I just didn't feel this one. I know that it's a popular one and I've read a lot of reviews that love the tension between Cha Chi Soo and Yang Eun Bi, but I didn't like it. I watched it mainly because I'm trying to watch all of the Flower Boy dramas before Hwarang: The Beginning comes out this summer. So here are my likes and dislikes about Flower Boy Ramyun Shop. 

What I like:
What made me watch this drama in my quest to watch all Flower Boy dramas is that Yang Eun Bi was studying to be a teacher which so happens to be what I'm doing. Yang Eun Bi was a likeable character. Her little monologues were hilarious.

The comedy: There were some great laugh-out-loud moments in this drama. Thank goodness because most of the writing was boring.

Choi Kang Hyuk: OMGSH this man. I was seriously rooting for him in his relationship with Eun Bi and in the show in general. He was my favorite character, I loved everything about him.

What I didn't like:
Cha Chi Soo: Why? Just why? I did not like his character at all. If that is what the writers wanted to accomplish then they did it. I could not stand him, he was so full of himself and I don't understand what Yang Eun Bi saw in him.

Yoon So-Yi: She was the girlfriend of Kim Ba-Wool and then Cha Chi Soo then Kim Ba-Wool again... Just annoying. Her character was never fully developed and her relationship with Kim Ba-Wool was just a buzzing side story to kill some time during the episode.

Kang Dong-Joo: I do not understand her purpose. In the first few episodes, yea I get it. Eun Bi needed a female friend around her age even though Dong-Joo was younger than her. But it's the same as with Yoon So-Yi, Kang Dong-Joo's relationship with the Coach was another side story to take up time and keep her in the episode for when Eun Bi needed to vent or get away.

The romance: I was hardcore rooting for Choi Kang Hyuk. I am so disappointed in Yang Eun Bi. Cha Chi Soo was so childish (maybe because HE WAS A CHILD in high school even though he was 19). It was admirable the relationship that Kang Hyuk and Chi Soo developed but seriously, this was one love triangle that I loathed watching. 

Overall, I did not enjoy the series. I feel like it was a waste of time. The writing was bad, the story was boring, the minor characters' stories were annoying. The acting was good though, I will give this show that much. I went and looked up the actors to see what other dramas they have appeared in. Apologies to the k-drama fandom that love this drama. It just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment