Saturday, May 07, 2016

K-Drama Review: My Love From the Star

title: my love from the star aka my love from another star
genre: romance, science fiction, comedy
original run: december 2013 - february 2014
network: SBS
number of episodes: 21
my rating: 5 stars

synopsis from viki.com:
Can an alien understand a modern Korean woman? Do Min Joon (Kim Soo Hyun) is an alien in the form of a perfect human specimen who arrived on Earth 400 years ago during the Chosun Dynasty. While living among the inferior human species, Min Joon has always been cynical toward his human neighbors. But in modern-day Korea, Min Joon meets top actress Cheon Song Yi (Jun Ji Hyun) and falls in love with her. Can the cross-species couple possibly have a future together? “My Love From the Stars” is a 2013 South Korean drama series directed by Jang Tae Yoo.

 OMGSH I cannot get enough of this drama! I was hesitant to watch it. I mean I've heard all the reviews were great, it's won awards, but I'm so iffy with the science fiction/fantasy genre in k-dramas. They are usually hit or miss and for most of the ones I've seen it's been miss. But a co-worker and long time friend recommended My Love From the Star to me and said that I HAVE to watch it. I caved and I'm so glad I did.

What I liked:

Jun Ji Hyun: I have read in some reviews that they didn't like her and she took away from the wonderful Kim Soo Hyun's moments BUT I loved her. I know her from the live action Blood: The Last Vampire so I'm biased and kinda loved her already. I thought she played the character of Cheon Song Yi very well. Cheon Song Yi was supposed to be spoiled, petty, and childish because of how she grew up and the big star she was. She also has a good heart deep down which we see when everything is stripped away. I thought her character had a lot of emotion and was a great match with Do Min Joo.

Kim Soo Hyun: I fell in love with him after seeing Dream High like many others out there. My Love From the Star let Kim Soo Hyun show a different side. He is a great actor, there is nothing to dislike here. I am definitely looking into other dramas he's in to see his acting.

the comedy: There were definitely some moments that were laugh-out-loud. Though the second half of this drama was on the heavy side, there were still moments to make you smile.

What I didn't like:

Jae Kyung: I understand why he was necessary to the plot line. But his side story about his brothers and him being so power hungry it seemed a bit much and I found myself skipping a little. In general, he is an all around villain and considering the science fiction theme, there wasn't much to complain about him.

How many times was this girl (Cheon Song Yi) going to be in the hospital? I mean come on, it seems like over exaggerating the damsel in distress thing.

Lastly, the fact that Do Min Joo only has 3 months left on earth was good and bad. It was good because it kept me on the edge of my seat like even if they solve all of the other problems there's still this for love to conquer. It was bad because the ending felt rushed like after they solved all of the other problems they only had one or two episodes to deal with this last one.

Overall, 5 stars across the board. My Love From the Star is such a great story with great acting and laughs. The science fiction thing isn't something I would continue to watch after this one but it's nice to have come across one science fiction drama where the alien thing works, for me at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment