Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Review: The Golden Braid

title: the golden braid
author: melanie dickerson
rating:  3 stars

blurb from goodreads:
The one who needs rescuing isn’t always the one in the tower.

Rapunzel can throw a knife better than any man around. And her skills as an artist rival those of any artist she’s met. But for a woman in medieval times, the one skill she most desires is the hardest one to obtain: the ability to read.

After yet another young man asks for Rapunzel’s hand in marriage, Mother decides they need to move once again, but this time to a larger city. Rapunzel’s heart soars—surely there she can fulfill her dream. But Mother won’t let her close to a man. She claims that no man can be trusted.

After being rescued by a knight on the road to the city, and in turn rescuing him farther down the road, Rapunzel’s opportunity arrives at last. This knight, Sir Gerek, agrees to educate Rapunzel in order to pay back his debt. She just has to put up with his arrogant nature and single-minded focus on riches and prestige.

But this Rapunzel story is unlike any other and the mystery that she uncovers will change everything—except her happily ever after.



Okay, so this book wasn't that bad.  It did read as if it were like the Disney movie Tangled with Rapunzel kicking butt and the mother being so caring. It was also unique that Rapunzel's mom traveled with her from town to town. Also the cultural aspect of Medieval Europe was a great setting and explained Rapunzel's longing for getting married very well. I liked the romance between Rapunzel and Sir Gerek and how it got started with teaching her how to read.

Here is what I didn't like. The book dragged for some parts and I found myself skimming for dialogue to move the story forward. Also, I borrowed this ebook not knowing that it was Christian fiction and reading it I couldn't even tell. But then BAM! It was like a sermon in the middle of the book. I have nothing against Christian fiction, my mom reads Christian fiction and there are some beautifully written novels that are from that genre. But my goodness there was a lot of Bible verses and talk about God and it just felt so out of place. I think if I went into this with a different mindset like if I wasn't looking for a new fairytale retelling to read with a kick-butt heroine, I would have given this a higher rating. Also, if I knew what genre this fell into before I read it, I probably would have given it a higher rating. 

In the end, for what it is, the novel was a good one. It's not a book for everyone and if religious references bother you, do not go for this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment