Thursday, March 23, 2017

K-Drama Review: Goblin


title: Goblin: the great and lonely god
genre: Fantasy, Melodrama
original run: December 2, 2016- January 21,2017
network: tvN
number of episodes: 16
my rating: 4 stars

synopsis from dramafever:
A fabled "goblin" attempts to end his life by marrying a human priestess, but things get complicated when he starts to actually fall for her, and in turn, finds a new reason for wanting to stay alive.

Ok, first of all, that synopsis does not do this drama justice, though it does give a brief summary without giving anything away.

Goblin was definitely entertaining. The first half of the drama I loved, but it kind of fell apart for me towards the end. It was like I didn't care about the main characters and wanted to know more about the minor characters' story. This was also the first drama where I noticed there was a warning at the beginning saying the drama was for ages 15 and up. I was surprised that the drama had a rating, but after watching the first 2 episodes, I understood. The premise is not for the faint of heart and will definitely raise some eyebrows.

What I liked:

Kim Shin- the story of how he became a goblin and how he got to present day in the drama is fascinating. I found myself looking forward to these parts the most. It's starting to make me think about exploring historical dramas.

Grim Reaper- my favorite character in the drama. I loved the story of his past, I loved who he was in the present and how he found out the truth about who he was in his past life. Everything about him was wonderful.

Grim Reaper and Sunny- I loved everything about their story! Their past lives, their current relationship, how they fall in love. *sigh* I would watch a drama about them.

SPOILER AHEAD***
Goblin (Kim Shin) and Ji Eun Tak's relationship up until the sword was pulled out- I thought their relationship was unique and complicated and interesting. After Ji Eun Tak lost her memory after the sword was pulled out, it was cute how Kim Shin tried to win her over again. Then she regained her memories and I lost all interest in their relationship. It just got boring and I was more interested in the Grim Reaper's story with Goblin's sister, Sunny.
END SPOILER***

What I didn't like:

I was just overall bored at some parts. There was too much melodrama for me.
Toward the end of the drama, I definitely cared more about the minor characters, specifically Grim Reaper and Sunny.

If you like the melodrama genre, this will definitely be a new favorite for you. It just didn't sit right with me. It was a very good story, but yea. I think just a little too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment