Tuesday, March 21, 2017

K-Drama Review: Uncontrollably Fond

title: Uncontrollably Fond
genre: Melodrama
original run: July 6- September 8, 2016
network: KBS2
number of episodes: 20
my rating: 3 stars

synopsis: Noh Eul and Joon Young were forced to separate when they were young. After some years both of them meet again, Noh Eul had become a documentary producer and Joon Young is now a top singer and actor.


Okay, so I looked into this drama because Dramafever wouldn't stop advertising it. I also like Suzy as an actress. So...

What I liked:
Suzy as No Eul- her acting has improved since Dream High.

Kim Woo Bin as Shin Joon Young- It was interesting to see him in a starring role. Though I did feel like a few parts were overdone and it was a bummer that there was such a big deal about him singing but it was such a small part. Overall, I thought he did well.

Rekindled love- I am such a sucker for second-chance-at-love dramas. They met in high school, stuff happened, they grew apart, and they reconnected as adults.


SPOILER***
The reveal of the connection between Shin Joon Young and No Eul's accident with the USB. Basically when No Eul found out. It was like I was dying to see where Joon Young was going with all of his scheming to get a confession. All the pieces fell together nicely.

The Ending- The last few episodes where characters interacted with Joon Young in his last days was good. I particularly liked the goodbye between Joon Young and Ji Tae.
END SPOILER***

What I didn't like:

Choi Ji Tae- I understand his connection to No Eul, but still toward the end he got obnoxious. Though it was nice that he eventually cared about Joon Young.

The slow motion reactions- It was so Dragonball Z sometimes. Some really dramatic scenes were dragged out in slow motion in an annoying way. Like if something big was going to happen it would flash, in slow motion, to all the characters involved to show their reaction as the big event was happening so when it finally happened it wasn't an "omgsh" from me, it was like "finally".

Im Joo Eun- All of the scenes where she "confronts" someone are seriously overdone.

SPOILER ***
Example: why the heck did she call No Eul to talk to her and why did No Eul even go to meet her? that was so pointless. I felt like it didn't move the story forward or anything. We know that Joo Eun has insecurity issues and that No Eul has a soft side but come on.
END SPOILER ***

A lot of the story dragged for me. There were a lot of parts where I felt more could have been added and there were others that I felt could have been taken out and the drama still would have moved in the same direction without it. I was bored for a lot but I kept watching for Kim Woo Bin and to see what was going to happen to his character though after a certain point you realize the drama can only end in one way.

This is not one I will be watching again for a while, but I would recommend it to someone who likes melodramas and all of the genre's cliches.

No comments:

Post a Comment